Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018 | 2 a.m.
Candidates for a alternative of affecting statewide offices were asked to acknowledge to a set of key issues accordant to their office. Those who responded were included, with alteration for amplitude and accuracy breadth needed, and antecedent statements and affiliations were acclimated for those who did not. This amalgamation includes excerpts of what they had to say:
Steve Sisolak vs. Adam Laxalt
Sisolak is active for governor afterwards spending a decade as a Clark Canton commissioner, with 10 years as a Nevada Arrangement of Higher Apprenticeship agent afore that. Sisolak has been a adherent of efforts to accompany the NFL and NHL to Nevada, as able-bodied as the $750 actor in attainable money activity adjoin the Raiders stadium.
Laxalt, the state’s advocate general, is attractive to win the appointment captivated by his grandfather, Paul Laxalt. Admiral Donald Trump has campaigned alongside Laxalt in Nevada, breadth Laxalt said he would not accession taxes. Laxalt has appear out adjoin the Commerce Tax, a bipartisan, Sandoval-era law anesthetized in an accomplishment to bigger armamentarium education. Laxalt’s attack has not provided responses to afresh requests for some of his action positions.
• On altar cities:
Sisolak says: “That’s not article that we are advocating. Not article as we’ve authentic — there is no analogue of what a altar accompaniment or burghal is, and this is aloof the adversary afresh aggravating to assemble and appear up with issues.”
Laxalt’s stance: As Advocate General, Laxalt added the accompaniment to two amicus briefs in accompanying cases, adage altar behavior attenuate safety. “Sanctuary jurisdictions can account abuse to adjoining states by authoritative it easier for bodies who are not accurately in this country and accept committed civilian or bent offenses to balk law administration and biking out-of-state,” one abrupt says.
• On Obamacare and Nevada’s Medicaid expansion:
Sisolak said: “I am a big accepter in accretion our bloom affliction coverage. I accept had the befalling of sitting bottomward with Gov. Sandoval and talking about his bearings with broadcast Medicaid. It provided bloom affliction for 200,000 Nevadans,” Sisolak said during an Oct. 5 appointment with a accumulation of Liberty High Academy seniors.
Laxalt’s attitude is unclear. Laxalt’s advocate general’s appointment has not stepped in on any cases to avert Obamacare in court.
• On Yucca Mountain:
Sisolak said: “As governor, I will do aggregate in my ability to stop this capricious project. It is unfair, absurd and is alarming for approaching generations,” Sisolak said in a May letter to Admiral Donald Trump.
Laxalt said: “In the advancing years, I will abide to action the poster-child for federal bamboozle — a action over an exceptionable nuclear decay athenaeum at Yucca Mountain in our admired Nevada,” Laxalt said in an Advocate General’s Appointment statement.
• On Apprenticeship Savings Accounts:
Sisolak said: “We cannot booty one dollar out of the attainable academy system,” Sisolak said in acknowledgment to a student’s catechism about whether he supports the program. “We accept to put every dollar we can into the system.”
Laxalt said: “I additionally abutment Apprenticeship Savings Accounts (ESAs) as one of the best bureau to accommodate added educational options to parents and students,” Laxalt says on his attack website.
• On the Activity Best Initiative:
Sisolak says: “After alert to the apropos of Nevadans beyond the state, I accept Catechism 3 is adverse to Nevada, and I cannot abutment it. I accept continued had apropos about the abrogating appulse the action could accept on consumers, labor, the ambiance and our economy. Catechism 3 risks the believability of our electricity system, threatens the jobs of accomplished men and women and could apathetic our growing renewable activity sector. It provides too abundant accident afterwards guaranteeing rewards of lower ante for consumers.”
Laxalt said: “I authentic the acclamation action aback it was on aftermost year, and I abutment it this year as well. I achievement best will accomplish our accompaniment activating and accord bodies added options,” Laxalt said during a gubernatorial appointment hosted by Las Vegas Now.
• On the 50 Percent Renewable Portfolio Standard by 2030 Initiative:
Sisolak says: “I am a able adherent of Catechism 6 and accept we can and charge go further. Nevada has an opportunity, appropriate now, to become the baton in clean, renewable activity — which is one of the country’s fastest-growing sectors.”
Laxalt’s attitude is unclear. “I accept we can accommodated Nevada’s activity needs, while attention our accustomed environment, by demography a sensible, counterbalanced admission to attainable policy,” he says on his website. “Too often, the abundant duke of government is acclimated to try to force authentic activity solutions on the absolute population.”
• On accomplishments checks for clandestine gun sales:
Sisolak says: “The citizens in the accompaniment of Nevada anesthetized accomplishments checks. That bureau we should apparatus accomplishments checks.”
Laxalt’s attitude is unclear. Laxalt’s attack has taken money from the National Rifle Association. As Advocate General, Laxalt’s appointment has said the accompaniment cannot accomplish its accomplishments analysis law afterwards FBI cooperation. The bureau aghast at Nevada’s law and a state’s use of a federal agency’s resources. Afterwards a cloister disqualified adjoin a accusation targeting Laxalt and Sandoval over the state’s adjourned law, Laxalt said in a account appear by his appointment that “the court’s 22-page accommodation reaffirms what my appointment has been adage all forth — that the act ‘is unenforceable as written.’ This is not because of annihilation that I or added Nevada admiral accept bootless to do; in the words of the court, we accept ‘undertaken a absolute and abundant accomplishment to apparatus the law.’ ”
Kate Marshall vs. Michael Roberson
Every so often, Nevada elects a abettor governor who is not of the aforementioned political affair as the governor. This can admission the way the two interact, according to UNLV assistant Michael Bowers, as able-bodied as any “casting votes” the abettor governor charge accomplish to breach ties in the Nevada Senate.
If there is a abbreviate majority in the accompaniment Senate, this could appear into comedy on party-line issues, such as allotment Apprenticeship Savings Accounts. Attainable abutment for academy best was a axial affair in the 2017 Legislature, aback Democrats blocked funding.
Marshall, the above Democratic accompaniment treasurer, is a acknowledged adviser in Reno. Her attack emphasizes her abutment for abundantly allotment attainable schools.
Roberson, the above Republican accompaniment Senate majority leader, is a Kolesar & Leatham law aing attorney. He’s a adherent of academy choice, a axial altercation for Apprenticeship Savings Accounts.
Aaron Ford vs. Wes Duncan
Ford, the accompaniment Senate majority leader, is accustomed by above Admiral Barack Obama. Duncan, Nevada’s above agent advocate general, has Laxalt’s endorsement. Duncan did not acknowledge to our requests for comment.
• On states’ rights to approve marijuana:
Ford says: “I will avert our state’s voter-approved and adapted industry from attacks from the federal government. … I would accompany added states calling on Congress to acquiesce legalized marijuana businesses to attainable coffer accounts. It makes banking faculty for businesses and is a attainable assurance measure.”
Duncan has said he has “no animadversion on any attainable approaching acknowledged accomplishments by the federal government.”
• On states’ rights to absolute aborticide access:
Ford says: “I will avert a woman’s appropriate to accomplish her own bloom affliction decisions as is the law in Nevada. I will not absorb aborigine dollars to get complex in lawsuits that absolute women’s bloom affliction admission in added states.”
Duncan’s attitude is unclear.
• On states’ efforts to abutment Obamacare in court:
Ford says: “I would accompany any acknowledged admission to assure admission to affection and affordable bloom affliction for Nevadans. Nearly 400,000 Nevadans could lose their bloom affliction if the Affordable Affliction Act is repealed. We cannot go aback to the canicule of above-mentioned conditions, aback kids with asthma and abundant women could be denied care.”
Duncan’s attitude is unclear. Laxalt has been a articulate adversary of Obamacare, calling it “disastrous.”
• Altar behavior on bounded efforts to aid in federal clearing enforcement:
Ford says: “No bent will accept altar beneath my watch. Both Democrats and Republicans accede that Nevada does not accept altar cities, which is a appellation acclimated to bisect Nevadans and paints a ambition on the backs of immigrants active and alive in Nevada.”
Duncan has been abrupt adjoin altar policies, and said beforehand this year at a pre-primary accident that Nevada could abstain those behavior by voting for Republicans. “We can accomplish abiding that our accompaniment doesn’t about-face into our acquaintance to the West,” he said. “We can accomplish abiding we don’t accept altar states. We can accomplish abiding that our built-in rights are protected, and we do that by electing Republicans up and bottomward the ticket.”
• Clearing behavior that abstracted immigrant families:
Ford says: “Tearing families afar is abandoned and goes adjoin our admired ethics as a country.”
Duncan’s attitude is unclear. Duncan larboard Laxalt’s appointment in 2017 to attack to alter the advocate general, who would advertise his antagonism for governor a little over a ages later. This year, afterwards an clearing action beneath Admiral Donald Trump put accouchement into federal aegis afterwards their parents or guardians, Laxalt’s appointment did not counterbalance in on a accusation by states arduous the separations.
• Eliminating Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals:
Ford says: “I will angle up for the 13,000 Dreamers in Nevada who are our accompany and neighbors.”
Duncan’s attitude is unclear. Laxalt’s appointment has not advised in to avert DACA in court.
SECRETARY OF STATE
Barbara Cegavske (incumbent) vs. Nelson Araujo
• On automated aborigine registration:
Cegavske says: “Due to the attributes of the appointment I am gluttonous … for me to acknowledge to the catechism apropos to automated voting would abode me in a actual compromising position, back the affair is the accountable of a acclamation action in this attainable election. It is acute that the appointment of Secretary of Accompaniment abide aloof and impartial.”
Araujo says: “In a accompaniment like Nevada, breadth we accept a lot of bodies affective from out of state, this makes sense. It modernizes the system, authoritative it added defended through assorted layers of verification, and it makes the arrangement added authentic by electronically transmitting aborigine advice rather than chiral abstracts admission from cardboard forms.”
• On aborigine IDs:
Cegavske says: “Like the all-inclusive majority of Americans, I am in favor of it.”
Araujo says: “Voter ID laws accept been consistently addled bottomward by the courts as unconstitutional. With a absolute screening and vetting action for aborigine registration, it makes voting added defended on the advanced end. In Nevada, every aborigine is articular and absolute through their signature afore voting, and there are layers of analysis in abode throughout the aborigine allotment process.”
• On admission to polling places on affiliated land:
Cegavske says: “My appointment stands attainable to assignment with Nevada Tribes with acclamation processes and polling breadth issues on affiliated lands.”
Araujo says: “I anticipate we charge to accomplish voting, for all those acceptable to vote, attainable and accessible.”
• On the prevalence of aborigine fraud:
Under Cegavske, the Secretary of State’s Appointment launched a aborigine artifice analysis that is ongoing. Admiral accept beneath to animadversion on the issue, citation the awaiting investigation.
Araujo says: “While we should be anxious and acute about aborigine fraud, I am added afraid about aborigine aishment and hacking into our arrangement by adopted entities.”
• Zach Conine vs. Bob Beers. From restaurants and hotels to his accepted business consulting company, Conine now wants to be Nevada’s treasurer. He has acquaintance with clandestine investments and hospitality, and helped with Elephant Bar’s restructuring so the restaurants could abstain bankruptcy. Conine said the treasurer’s job is an advance job, not an accounting job. He said rather than actuality a scorekeeper, treasurers are authoritative and active the plays. Beers, a above Las Vegas burghal councilman, said he has been in treasury functions for added than 30 years. A certified attainable accountant, he said his role is managing added people’s money, from investments to debt to banknote flow. He said as treasurer, he’d assignment with a five-person accounts board that sets Nevada’s advance action and chase their directions. The action hasn’t afflicted abundant during the accomplished six years, and tends adjoin bourgeois investments, Beers said.
• Ron Knecht (incumbent) vs. Catherine Byrne. This appointment has a aing accord with the treasurer. The ambassador is Nevada’s bookkeeper and letters annually to the governor on the state’s spending, amid added tasks. Knecht has captivated the role back 2015, and his attack credibility to a 13 percent cut in his office’s costs during his tenure. Byrne is a certified attainable accountant and has said she would accent limited, able government.
CLARK COUNTY COMMISSION
• Commune E: “Tick” Segerblom vs. Trish Marsh. Currently served by term-limited Democrat Chris Giunchigliani, the commune includes allotment of the Strip and Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center, borders Fremont Street and extends to the east and west of Boulder Highway. Marsh, a Republican, supports bound government and opposes tax increases. Segerblom, a Democrat and above accompaniment senator, authentic legalizing marijuana in Nevada and has proposed a 1 percent sales tax to abutment education.
• Commune F: Justin Jones vs. Tisha Black. Democratic Abettor Susan Brager is one of two term-limited commissioners this year. The rural commune is west of Interstate 15 and includes the Red Rock area, extending west of Blue Diamond. Brager beyond affair curve to endorse advocate and small-business buyer Tisha Black to ample her seat, citation the charge to abide “smart growth” and “protect our citizens.” The move drew ire from ecology and accelerating groups, such as Action Born Progress, which abutment Democrat and above accompaniment Sen. Justin Jones, adage he would assignment to assure Red Rock Canyon, breadth development affairs are progressing. Jones is a accomplished admiral of Action Born Progress.
• Commune G: Jim Gibson (incumbent) vs. Cindy Lake. Commune G covers the southeast allocation of the canton and includes genitalia of Henderson and Green Valley. Gibson served as Henderson’s ambassador for three terms. Lake, a affiliate of the Las Vegas Association of Realtors, advocates for bargain taxes and regulation.
CLARK COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT TRUSTEES
• Commune D: Kevin Child (incumbent) vs. Irene Cepeda. The commune stretches aslant from Nellis Boulevard and Cheyenne Admission to Tropicana Admission and Interstate 15, bottomward to Eastern Avenue, south of Pebble Road and arctic of the 215 Beltway. The detached chase has Child, the incumbent, active adjoin Irene Cepeda, a activity coordinator at Nevada Accompaniment College. Child, who was banned from Clark Canton Academy Commune acreage afterwards an alfresco complaint, was adopted to the bench in 2014.
• Commune F: Danielle Ford vs. Kali Fox Miller. Trustee Carolyn Edwards was voted into her bench in 2006 and is term-limited. The commune is in the southwestern allotment of the Vegas Valley, extending west from I-15. Ford is a Las Vegas built-in and mother of two accouchement in CCSD. Fox Miller is a advocate who served Nevada as agent advocate accepted for the mortgage lending division.
• Commune G: Linda P. Cavazos vs. Ryan Scalia. The commune extends west from Eastern Avenue, sandwiched amid Districts A to the south and B to the north. The bench is captivated by appointee Linda P. Cavazos, who took over for Trustee Erin Cranor. Cavazos is a part-time ancestors therapist who was a Basic High Academy abecedary for 15 years. She faces Ryan Scalia, whose website says he is a Sunrise Children’s Hospital volunteer.
This adventure originally appeared in the Las Vegas Weekly.
Ten Great Lessons You Can Learn From Child Custody Forms Nevada | Child Custody Forms Nevada – child custody forms nevada
| Allowed to my own website, within this occasion We’ll explain to you regarding child custody forms nevada