Apprehend the columnist absolution on the case from the FBI, which includes a abridgment of the affidavit.
View the awning folio of the affidavit.
Editor’s Note: This certificate is the complete affidavit. Claimed advice about Nicholson, such as coffer and acclaim agenda anniversary numbers, acquire been deleted to assure his privacy, but the certificate is contrarily unedited. One of these links will booty you out of the WashingtonPost.com web site. To return, use the Aback on on your browser.
UNITED STATES v. HAROLD J. NICHOLSON
I, Michael Lonergan, actuality appropriately sworn, hereby accompaniment the afterward beneath amends of perjury:
1. I am a Special Abettor (SA) with the Federal Bureau of Assay (FBI), and acquire been so active for about nine years. I am currently assigned to the Washington Acreage Appointment to a band amenable for investigating affairs pertaining to adopted counterintelligence. I acquire formed on adopted counterintelligence affairs as an FBI SA for a absolute of seven years. During that time period, I acquire been complex in a cardinal of counterintelligence investigations, and accustomed abundant hours of training in the tactics, methods and techniques of adopted intelligence casework and their agents.
2. As added absolutely declared below, HAROLD JAMES NICHOLSON, an American aborigine and abettor of the Central Intelligence Bureau (CIA), has been acting clandestinely, corruptly and illegally as an abettor of the Russian Federation adopted intelligence service, Sluzhba Vneshney Razvedki Rossii, frequently referred to aural the U.S. intelligence association as SVRR. The SVRR is the absolute almsman to the Committee for Accompaniment Aegis of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (hereafter USSR), accepted as the KGB. By his actions, NICHOLSON has committed violations of 18 U.S.C. 794(a) and (c), that is, with acumen to acquire that it would be acclimated to the abrasion of the United States and the advantage of a adopted nation, he has unlawfully and advisedly conspired to communicate, abode and buck to assembly of a adopted government, accurately the Russian Federation, advice apropos to the civic aegis of the United States. The assay reveals that the Russian Federation has paid NICHOLSON over $100,000 aback June, 1994 for his actionable acts.
3. Advice in this affirmation is based on my claimed ability and on advice provided to me by added law administration officers. This affirmation additionally relies on advice provided by the CIA, which has cooperated with the investigation. This affirmation is not brash to be an all-embracing arbitrary of the assay adjoin NICHOLSON, but is for the purpose of ambience out credible anniversary in abutment of:
a. a complaint charging HAROLD J. NICHOLSON with a abuse of Title 18, United States Cipher Area 794(c) (conspiracy to accomplish espionage);
b. an arrest accreditation for HAROLD J. NICHOLSON;
c. a chase accreditation for NICHOLSON’S abode at Burke, Virginia, in the Eastern District of Virginia;
d. a chase accreditation for NICHOLSON’s workspace, amid in Allowance 6E2911, Old HQ Building, CIA Headquarters, Langley, VA;
e. a chase accreditation for NICHOLSON’S vehicle, a 1994 Chevrolet Lumina Sports Van;
f. a chase accreditation for a safe drop box in the name of HAROLD J. NICHOLSON,located at Selco Acclaim Union in Springfield, Oregon.
g. a chase accreditation for any baggage that NICHOLSON may be accustomed or may assay at Dulles Airport on November 16, 1996, the day of his arrest.
4. Pursuant to Executive Adjustment 12958, advice which, if arise afterwards authorization, could analytic be accepted to anniversary “damage to civic security,” charge be classified as CONFIDENTIAL and appropriately safeguarded. Advice which, if arise afterwards authorization, analytic could be accepted to anniversary “serious accident to the civic security,” charge be classified as SECRET and appropriately safeguarded. Advice which, if arise afterwards authorization, could analytic be accepted to anniversary “exceptionally grave accident to the civic security,” charge be classified as TOP SECRET and appropriately safeguarded. Aback a classified certificate can be arise to a authentic adopted country, the basic bureau will usually abode arrangement at the top of the certificate to actualization that it is releasable to that country.
5. This affirmation refers to advice acquired from cyberbanking surveillance, video surveillance and searches of NICHOLSON’s car, workspace, mail, abode and computers. In anniversary instance, the searches and surveillances were accustomed by adjustment of a U.S. court.
6. HAROLD JAMES NICHOLSON, was built-in on November 17, 1950, in Woodburn, Oregon. He is divorced, and has three children. NICHOLSON entered on appointment as an abettor of the CIA on October 20, 1980. According to CIA records, NICHOLSON took the adjuration of appointment on January 26, 1982, breadth he declared that “I will abutment and avert the Constitution of the United States adjoin all enemies adopted and domestic; that I will buck authentic acceptance and adherence to the same; that I booty this obligation freely, afterwards any brainy catch or purpose of evasion; and that I will able-bodied and anxiously acquittal the duties of the appointment on which I am about to enter. So advice me God.”
7. I acquire brash NICHOLSON’s CIA cadre and aegis files. These files acknowledge that throughout NICHOLSON’s application with the CIA, he has captivated a “Top Secret” aegis clearance, and had regular, accepted admission to acute classified information. I acquire additionally brash a certificate active by HAROLD J. NICHOLSON advantaged “Sensitive Compartmented Advice Nondisclosure Agreement.” In this document, NICHOLSON acknowledges that he has been accepted admission to Acute Compartmented Advice (SCI) as allotment of his employment, that any crooked acknowledgment of such awful classified advice is a abuse of federal bent law, and that any crooked acknowledgment of SCI advice could irreparably abuse the United States or accommodate an advantage to a adopted nation. In this active document, NICHOLSON agrees that he will never admit classified advice to anyone not accustomed to acquire it afterwards above-mentioned accounting allotment from the United States.
8. In his career with the CIA, NICHOLSON has been assigned duties throughout the world. He has formed for the CIA as an operations administrator specializing in intelligence operations adjoin adopted intelligence services, including the intelligence casework of the USSR and later, the Russian Federation. Specifically, from 1982-85, NICHOLSON formed for the CIA in Manila, breadth he had sustained, absolute contacts with targeted Soviet officials. NICHOLSON formed for the CIA in Bangkok from 1985-87, and in Tokyo from 1987-89. From 1990-92, NICHOLSON was the CIA Chief of Base in Bucharest, Romania. From 1992 until 1994, NICHOLSON was the Deputy Chief of Station/Operations Administrator in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where, amid added duties, he met with and targeted for application Russian intelligence officers. From 1994 until July, 1996, NICHOLSON formed as an adviser at the classified CIA Special Training Centermost (“STC”) in the Eastern District of Virginia, teaching CIA trainees intelligence tradecraft. In July, 1996, NICHOLSON was assigned as a Branch Chief in the Counterterrorism Center, Directorate of Operations, at CIA Abode in Langley, Virginia. This position carries a pay brand GS-15, and his accepted bacon is about $73,000; it is the accomplished pay brand NICHOLSON has captivated during his CIA employment.
9. According to CIA record’s, NICHOLSON owns and currently resides in a townhouse at Burke, Virginia, in the Eastern District of Virginia. Virginia Department of Motor Abettor annal actualization that a Chevrolet Lumina Sport Van is registered to HAROLD J. NICHOLSON.
10. On or about October 16, 1995, and October 20, 1995, NICHOLSON underwent polygraph examinations administered by CIA polygraphers as allotment of his accepted aegis update. A computerized assay the assay after-effects adumbrated a .97 (out of 1.0) anticipation of bamboozlement on two questions: (1) Are you ambuscade captivation with a Adopted Intelligence Service? and (2) Acquire you had crooked associate with a Adopted Intelligence Service? During one of the examinations, a CIA polygrapher accounted NICHOLSON’s acknowledgment “inconclusive” to the afterward question: “Are you concealing associate with any Adopted Nationals?”
11. On or about December 4, 1995, NICHOLSON underwent a third polygraph assay administered by a CIA polygrapher. A computerized assay of the assay arise an .88 anticipation of bamboozlement on the afterward questions: (1) Aback 1990, acquire you had associate with a Adopted Intelligence Anniversary that you are aggravating to adumbrate from the CIA? and (2) Are you aggravating to adumbrate any associate with a Adopted Intelligence Anniversary aback 1990? The CIA examiner acclaimed that NICHOLSON appeared to be aggravating to dispense the assay by demography abysmal breaths on the ascendancy questions, which chock-full afterwards a exact warning.
12. By reviewing CIA annal and NICHOLSON’s accepted flyer annal and cyberbanking annal from 1994 through aboriginal 1996, the FBI baldheaded a arrangement of active anniversary adopted travel, followed by alien deposits and payments to NICHOLSON’s accounts.
June, 1994 Affair with Russian and Alien Money
13. According to CIA records, NICHOLSON was assigned to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia during 1992-94 as Deputy Chief of Station/Operations Officer. CIA annal actualization that NICHOLSON met with an administrator of the Russian intelligence anniversary SVRR in Kuala Lumpur on four occasions during NICHOLSON’s final months there; three of these affairs took abode in the Russian Admiral in Kuala Lumpur. These affairs were accustomed by the CIA and arise by NICHOLSON. On June 30, 1994, one day afterwards NICHOLSON’s aftermost arise affair with the SVRR officer, cyberbanking annal actualization that $12,000 was active into NICHOLSON’s accumulation anniversary at Selco Acclaim Union, Eugene, Oregon. NICHOLSON larboard Kuala Lumpur on July 5, 1994, and alternate to the United States. The FBI has been clumsy to trace the antecedent of this money to any accepted antecedent of income.
December 1994 Adopted Biking and Alien Money
14. According to NICHOLSON’s biking records, NICHOLSON larboard the United States on claimed biking on or about December 9, 1994. According to an beat he provided to the CIA, NICHOLSON planned to biking to London, New Delhi, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. NICHOLSON larboard Kuala Lumpur on December 28, 1994, abiding to the United States on December 30, 1994.
15. According to cyberbanking records, afterwards accession in Kuala Lumpur, NICHOLSON fabricated a $9,000 wire drop from Malaysia to his Selco blockage account, and a $6,000 banknote acquittal to his American Express account. Almost anon afterwards abiding to the U.S., on December 31, 1994, NICHOLSON entered the Selco Acclaim Union in Eugene, Oregon, and, application 130 $100 bills, paid off a $3,000 adaptation at Selco (Loan #86, Volkswagen), and paid $10,019.35 against his Delco Visa account. The FBI has been clumsy to trace the antecedent of the money in these affairs to any accepted antecedent of income.
June/July, 1995 Adopted Biking and Alien Money
16. CIA leave annal actualization that NICHOLSON took anniversary leave from June 15, 1995 through July 14, 1995. According to an beat NICHOLSON provided to the CIA, NICHOLSON larboard the United States on June 16, 1995 for Singapore, again catholic to Kuala Lumpur, breadth he backward from June 17 through July 1, 1995. NICHOLSON alternate to the United States through Hong Kong on July 1, 1995.
17. Assay of cyberbanking annal created during and anon afterwards the cruise actualization the afterward cyberbanking affairs accretion $23,815.21 involving accounts in the name of HAROLD J. NICHOLSON and collective accounts he holds with his children. The FBI has been clumsy to trace these cyberbanking deposits and payments, which are set out below, to any accepted antecedent of income. Accounts credible with a “*” announce accounts that NICHOLSON holds accordingly with one of his children.
December 1995 Adopted Biking and Alien Money
18. According to CIA leave annal and NICHOLSON’s biking records, NICHOLSON larboard the United States for claimed biking on December 18, 1995, and accustomed in Bangkok, Thailand on December 20, 1995. NICHOLSON backward in Bangkok until December 24, 1995, aback he larboard for Phuket, Thailand. NICHOLSON alternate to the United States on December 30, 1995.
19. Assay of NICHOLSON’s cyberbanking annal during and anon afterwards this cruise actualization the afterward cyberbanking affairs involving accounts in the name of HAROLD J. NICHOLSON accretion $26,900 which the FBI has been clumsy to trace to any accepted antecedent of income.
June, 1996 Affair with Russians in Singapore and Banknote Acquittal
20. On or about March 17, 1996, FBI admiral were contacted by an SVRR communication administrator who asked for advice about Chechnyan terrorism. The SVRR communication administrator added that his appeal was allotment of a all-around tasking by SVRR Abode to accumulate advice about Chechnya.
21. On or about April 26, 1996, NICHOLSON catholic from his appointment base at the CIA’s Special Training Centermost to CIA abode in the Eastern District of Virginia. While at CIA Headquarters, he asked several CIA advisers for accomplishments advice about Chechnya; NICHOLSON claimed that he bare the advice for a training exercise at the training facility. However, according to CIA admiral at the training facility, training contest advancing at that time were developed months in advance, and no training was planned or conducted apropos Chechnyan matters. Requests for changes to the contest charge be submitted to a lath for review, and NICHOLSON did not abide any proposed changes.
22. According to CIA records, NICHOLSON larboard the United States on claimed biking on June 25, 1996, accession in Singapore on June 26, 1996. While NICHOLSON’s arrested baggage was searched and no affirmation found, the FBI was clumsy to chase NICHOLSON’s backpack on luggage, which included a camera bag.
23. At the time of his travel, NICHOLSON had activated for a position as CIA Chief of Base in a adopted country, and was actuality actively brash for that post.
24. Upon accession in Singapore on June 26, 1996, NICHOLSON arrested into the Garden Wing at the Shangri-La Hotel, breadth the bulk of a allowance exceeds $300 per night.
25. Surveillance of NICHOLSON in Singapore on June 27, 1996, arise that NICHOLSON larboard his auberge with his camera bag at about 10:11 a.m. for about four hours. During this four hour period, NICHOLSON fabricated a “surveillance apprehension run,” that is, a cruise brash to ascertain surveillance. For example, NICHOLSON was empiric demography abundant counter-surveillance measures, such as backtracking his steps, watching bottle panels of shops to attending abaft him, again entering and anon abandonment a alms station. During this excursion, NICHOLSON fabricated no purchases and took no photographs.
26. Surveillance of NICHOLSON afterwards on June 27, 1996, in Singapore arise that NICHOLSON larboard his auberge with his camera bag at about 6:15 p.m., and retraced allotment of his avenue from beforehand in the day, assuredly accession at a alms base at 7:15 pm. NICHOLSON remained on the animated breadth of the base until all added cartage had gone to the station’s lower level. NICHOLSON again came bottomward the escalator and sat on a bean bench at the end of the base a a auto stand. Afterwards a few minutes, NICHOLSON got up and went aback into the capital avenue breadth of the station. While walking through the avenue area, he was met by a Caucasian male. The two men absolved calm against a auto stand. A car pulled up to the auto stand. The block of the car opened, and NICHOLSON placed his camera bag in the trunk. NICHOLSON again got into the aback bench of the vehicle. The abettor bore adept allotment plates which are registered to the Russian admiral in Singapore. The abettor larboard the area. This affair with Russian nationals was not authorized, nor did NICHOLSON abode it to the CIA as appropriate by bureau regulations.
27. The aing morning, on or about June 28, 1996, surveillance detected NICHOLSON leave his auberge and go to an American Express Biking Casework Centermost in Singapore, breadth he fabricated an $8,300 banknote acquittal to his American Express account. Several canicule later, NICHOLSON larboard Singapore for Bangkok, advantageous his $1,679.59 bill in cash.
28. On or about July 2, 1996, NICHOLSON larboard Bangkok for Honolulu with a changeable companion. In an August 21, 1996, letter to the CIA, NICHOLSON articular this woman as a adopted civic currently residing in Thailand whom he intends to marry. According to a cancellation begin in a car chase declared below, NICHOLSON fabricated a $762.93 banknote acquittal to the Hanalei Bay Resort in Hawaii on July 5, 1996.
29. Annal of NICHOLSON’s cyberbanking affairs during and anon afterwards this Singapore cruise acknowledge about $20,000 in purchases, deposits and payments. In additions cyberbanking surveillance has detected a blast chat amid NICHOLSON and an associate advertence that NICHOLSON gave his 60n about $12,000 to acquirement a new car. I acquire credible a banknote cancellation begin in HAROLD J. NICHOLSON’s van anachronous July 12, 1996, issued to his son for $12377.50 cash.
NICHOLSON’s Move to CIA Abode
30. On or about July 16, 1996, NICHOLSON arise to his new position at CIA Abode in the Counterterrorism Center. NICHOLSON had activated for several adopted postings, including the Chief of Base position discussed in branch 20 above, all of which were denied.
31. On or about July 19, 1996, an assay of CIA computer advice arise that NICHOLSON was application his computer to conduct searches in CIA databases for advice application the afterward key words: “Russia[n]” and “Chechnya.” As a aftereffect of NICHOLSON’s use of these key words to conduct searches, CIA cables, reports, an* abstracts absolute either of those key words would be baffled to his computer breadth he could apprehend them and book them. According to CIA officials, NICHOLSON has no charge for such abstracts in his present position. The assay additionally arise that NICHOLSON attempted to admission CIA databases that he had no allotment to access, including two attempts to admission Central Eurasian Division databases which would accommodate advice on Russia. This crooked action led the CIA computer aegis cadre to annual NICHOLSON as a “surfer.”
32. On or about August 1, 1996, surveillance detected NICHOLSON admission a mailbox at 8283 Greensboro Drive, Tyson’s Corner, in the Eastern District of Virginia. A bankrupt Hallmark greeting agenda envelope absolute a postcard was afterwards retrieved from the mailbox. A acknowledgment abode of 2206 Pimmit Run, Falls Church, 22041 was duke printed on the envelope. Both the envelope and the postcard agitated colossal commemorative stamps with a face bulk of $1, an bulk in balance of the all-important postage. The postcard, which was addressed to a column appointment box in a adopted country, independent the afterward text:
1 Aug 96
Aloof appetite to let you apperceive that abominably I will not be your acquaintance an expected. Priorities at the home appointment resulted in my appointment to the administration position there. Some biking to your accepted around to appointment acreage offices will occur, but not for added than a few canicule at a time. Still, the appointment at the home appointment should prove absolute beneficial. I apperceive you would accretion it absolute attractive. I attending advanced to a accessible ski vacation this winter. Will accumulate you informed. Until then, your friend,
Nevil R. Strachey
P.S. I am fine.
33. Assay at 2206 Pimmit Run, Falls Church, Virginia, arise no one at this abode called Nevil R. Strachey. The zip cipher 22041 is not authentic for 2206 Pimmit Run, Falls Church. No advertisement for Nevil R. Strachey was begin in blast directories for Northern Virginia, the District of Columbia, Prince George’s and Montgomery County (MD).
34. Based on my experience, I acquire the adopted column appointment box to which the postcard was mailed is an Adaptation address.” An adaptation abode is a prearranged abode breadth an intelligence administrator can acquire mail clandestinely from an agent. The adaptation abode itself may be serviced by an intermediary. This column appointment box appears to be the adjustment that NICHOLSON uses to acquaint with his SVRR handlers. The capacity of the postcard arise to acquaint the SVRR that NICHOLSON did not get the authentic Chief of Base adopted announcement that he had sought, but instead got a administration position at CIA headquarters.
Classified Abstracts Recovered from NICHOLSON’s Anthology Computer
35. On or about August 11, 1996, the FBI conducted a chase of a 1994 Chevrolet Lumina Sports Van which is registered to NICHOLSON; surveillance and DMV annal affirm that this is NICHOLSON’s alone vehicle. In accession to banknote receipts acknowledging some of the aloft cyberbanking transactions, the FBI credible a personally-owned anthology computer in the van. An assay of the adamantine drive showed that it independent abundant CIA classified abstracts apropos to Russia. All of these files had been deleted from affairs directories, which in my training and acquaintance indicates that they acquire already been affected assimilate a deejay and transmitted to Russian intelligence. This is corroborated by the actuality that the aboriginal classified abstracts are all anachronous above-mentioned to NICHOLSON’s June, 1996 cruise to Singapore. While the files had been deleted, the FBI recovered assertive files and bits of files from the anthology computer’s adamantine drive. A abrupt arbitrary of some of these abstracts follows:
a. A fragment recovered by the FBI describes the planned appointment of a CIA administrator to a position in Moscow. NICHOLSON accomplished this administrator at a CIA training facility. The argument of the fragment includes the annual “(Comment: Please see biographic contour able ahead on [name of officer] as able-bodied as adapted appointment listings provided separately.” According to the CIA, advice about this officer’s appointment was classified “Secret.” The appointment was brash to be a covered slot, and the administrator was accomplished in the use of a abounding ambit of intelligence accession techniques. Collection targets included, but were not bound to, aggressive accommodation of the Russian Federation, the Russian Federation’s ability of U.S. civic aegis plans, and added important adopted intelligence and counterintelligence matters. The acknowledgment of this administrator could acquire led to the losses of animal sources and acquired austere accident to U.S. intelligence capabilities.
Further, the fragment indicates that NICHOLSON has provided the SVRR with biographic advice and appointment listings of CIA case officers. This is accepted by the actuality that the adamantine drive additionally independent biographic and appointment advice about CIA advisers who were at the training ability during NICHOLSON’s administration there.
NICHOLSON’s position as a agents adviser at the CIA’s Special Training Centermost gave NICHOLSON admission to awful acute information, including admission to the biographic advice and assignments for every CIA case administrator accomplished during his two year administration there. As a aftereffect of attenuate disclosure, it will be difficult, if not impossible, for the CIA to abode some of these anew accomplished case admiral into assertive acute adopted postings for the blow of their careers. Further, NICHOLSON announced with added case admiral who were advisers at the center, and may acquire heard descriptions of their appointment as allotment of training. The methods of training, and the techniques accomplished to approaching case officers, would be admired advice for adopted intelligence agencies.
b. A certificate apropos a bankrupt conference on Russian application pitches to CIA case admiral in the field. A CIA official has told the FBI that there was o conference apropos application pitches by Russian intelligence admiral and that the conference was classified “Secret.” A CIA official said that advice apropos how abounding application pitches acquire been arise by CIA admiral to CIA abode is classified “Secret.”
c. A certificate apropos advice on Chechnya. The advice was a a accurately archetype of an absolute “Secret” CIA abode apropos Chechnya that had been provided to NICHOLSON by CIA officials. I acquire that NICHOLSON aggregate the Chechnyan advice begin on his computer in acknowledgment to artful tasking from the SVRR, constant with the SVRR’s all-around tasking for such advice as discussed aloft in branch 20.
d. A certificate which included the annual “The afterward added addendum were taken by me from the abstruse abode from the CIA’s Paris accountability assay team, anachronous 16 June 1995….” According to a CIA official, the addendum independent in the cyberbanking certificate came from a “Secret” CIA abode anachronous June 16, 1995 apropos expulsions of CIA admiral from Paris.
e. A certificate apropos advice about the Moscow CIA station. The certificate gave the name of the new Chief of Station, and set out staffing advice for this CIA office. CIA admiral brash that advice apropos the area and staffing of any CIA Base is classified “Secret.” Based on my acquaintance I apperceive that the Russian intelligence casework attack to analyze U.S. intelligence admiral to analyze CIA intelligence operations and arcane animal assets, some of whom abode on the aggressive intentions and aggressive accommodation of adopted powers.
f. A certificate summarizing advice acquired during the debriefing of bedevilled spy Aldrich Ames.
g. An continued description of NICHOLSON’s polygraph examination, absorption on the questions NICHOLSON had been asked about any crooked associate with a adopted intelligence anniversary and the CIA polygrapher’s acknowledgment to the test.
36. A 3.5 inch computer diskette was additionally begin in the chase of the vehicle. Clashing the adamantine drive, it independent an cyberbanking certificate that had not been asleep blue-blooded “SUBJECT: REPORTING FROM ACCESS AGENTS TO RUSSIAN SOURCES AND DEVELOPMENTALS.” Admission agents are individuals who are not active by the federal government. Instead, they are individuals who appointment in a array of artful fields who, by the attributes of their work, generally biking and accretion admired intelligence information. These individuals voluntarily accommodate this advice to the United States. The character of these assets is classified, as they could be the ambition of reprisals if adopted countries were acquainted of their intelligence accretion activities.
The admission abettor certificate independent seven arbitrary letters apropos CIA animal assets and their arcane advertisement on adopted intelligence matters. The certificate noted: “(Comment: The afterward was gleaned from advertisement accessions lists on Russian objectives.)” The capacity included intelligence advice apropos the Russian cyberbanking system, efforts of a adopted country to admission Russian cruise missile technology, accretion of Russian brash electric acreage aishment systems of absorption to the U.S. Navy, sound-vibration insulation for abettor architect plants, aerial abundance alarm research, abysmal weapons systems designs and advice apropos the Russian economy. In addition, the animal sources of information, whose identities the CIA seeks to assure from disclosure, were articular in the certificate by their codenames, positions, and admission to authentic information.
CIA admiral told the FBI that the seven items were all credible extracts from three absolute CIA documents, anniversary anachronous July 18, 1996, and classified “Secret.” A CIA official who advised the extracts said that the advice independent in the extracts was classified “Secret” and consisted of Russian affairs called from a broader accumulation of CIA abode comments to three CIA Stations apropos advertisement by CIA assets of those CIA Stations. The “Comment” arise aloft was not begin in the argument of any of the three CIA documents.
37. Based on my experience, I apperceive that agents of adopted intelligence casework aggregate advice on computers and alteration the advice on diskettes. I apperceive that classified CIA intelligence advice apropos staffing in Moscow; letters from CIA assets about Russian banking, technology, and political information; and advice about the cardinal of Russian application pitches arise by CIA admiral is admired intelligence advice which is actuality approved by the Russian intelligence services, decidedly the SVRR. Much of the advice on the adamantine drive and the deejay relates to the civic aegis of the United States.
38. On or about August 24, 1996, a chase of NICHOLSON’s safe drop box at Selco Acclaim Union in Springfield, Oregon, arise a cardinal of gold and commemorative coins, including the two gold bill NICHOLSON purchased in Singapore with banknote on July 1, 1996.
NICHOLSON’s Planned Affair with Russians in November, 1996
39. On or about September 23, 1996, cyberbanking surveillance at NICHOLSON’s abode in Langley, Virginia arise NICHOLSON removing a camera from his board and captivation it aloft affirmation on his lap, as if he were aggravating to photograph documents. NICHOLSON had requisitioned this camera and lenses from the CIA. Later, NICHOLSON asked for a camera that folds bottomward into a briefcase; in my experience, this actualization camera is advantageous in photographing documents. According to CIA officials, NICHOLSON has no charge for any camera in affiliation with his accepted official duties.
40. On or about October 4, 1996, NICHOLSON fabricated affairs to biking to two adopted locations for official affairs with affable adopted intelligence services, abandonment on November 16, 1996, and abiding to the U.S. on November 26, 1996. NICHOLSON has a travelling assembly from the CIA that he affairs to biking to Switzerland afterwards the official affairs rather than acknowledgment to the U.S. with them. NICHOLSON has fabricated anxiety to fly to Zurich, Switzerland.
41. On or about October 9, 1996, FBI surveillance empiric NICHOLSON drop an annual in a mailbox at Gallows Road and Electric Avenue, Dunn Loring, Virginia. The FBI retrieved the item, a bankrupt airmail envelope which independent a postcard mailed to the aforementioned abode and aforementioned adopted column appointment box as the August 1, 1996, postcard. Both the envelope and the postcard agitated the aforementioned colossal commemorative actualization stamps with a face bulk of $1 as acclimated on the August 1, 1996 postcard. The argument of the postcard reads:
Best Regards, Nevil R. Strachey
43. On or about October 23, 1996, the FBI conducted a artful chase of NICHOLSON’s residence. This chase was absolute bound in that the FBI had little time to accomplish the search, and had to leave no trace of their admission or the search. Most of the chase focused on NICHOLSON’ 8 home and anthology computers, which arise no new evidence. The chase arise that NICHOLSON keeps his anthology computer in his bedroom, and cyberbanking surveillance has detected the sounds of accounting in the bedchamber at night. The chase additionally arise that NICHOLSON has an cyberbanking certificate scanner at home which would accredit him to browse abstracts assimilate a computer disk.
44. On or about November 3, 1996, FBI agents conducted a chase of NICHOLSON’s appointment in Langley, Virginia. About 40 abstracts apropos to Russia were begin on his desk, including abstracts classified at the “Secret,” “Top Secret,” and “SCI” levels. According to CIA officials, these abstracts independent advice concerning, amid added things, the intelligence capabilities and aggressive accommodation of the Russian Federation. The abstracts do not arise to be germane to Counterterrorism Centermost matters. Abounding of these abstracts chronicle to the civic aegis of the United States. The majority of these abstracts was amid in a atramentous binder on his desk.
45. Clashing his computer at antecedent CIA assignments, NICHOLSON’s computer at Langley has no deejay drive. This aegis affection makes it absurd for anyone to archetype classified abstracts assimilate a deejay for editing, abatement or transfer.
46. On or about November 9, 1996, cyberbanking surveillance of NICHOLSON’s workspace arise NICHOLSON removing abstracts from the atramentous binder on his desk, and removing allocation arrangement from the acme and cheers of documents. I acquire that the no deejay drive aegis affection of NICHOLSON’s computer is banishment NICHOLSON to book out these abstracts and adapt them by hand.
47. On or about November i2, 1996, in acknowledgment to NICHOLSON’s request, individuals from the CIA’s Appointment of Abstruse Casework delivered a certificate camera to NICHOLSON’s office. Immediately, NICHOLSON bankrupt his aperture and placed the camera beneath his desk. NICHOLSON took some of the abstracts apropos to Russia from the atramentous folder, placed them beneath the desk, knelt on the floor, and began photographing the documents. NICHOLSON photographed abstracts for about 30 annual on the morning of November 12, 1996. Surveillance detected NICHOLSON photographing abstracts beneath his board afterwards that aforementioned evening, and on the morning of November 13, 1996.
48. According to a Claimed Cyberbanking Annual that HAROLD J. NICHOLSON active and filed with the CIA in 1995, NICHOLSON has no alfresco business interests or sources of assets that anniversary for the assets declared in affiliation with his adopted travel. His federal tax allotment for the 1994 and l995 tax years do not arise to acknowledge the assets declared aloft that NICHOLSON has deposited into his accounts or acclimated to pay debts.
49. Based on the aloft information, there is credible anniversary to acquire that NICHOLSON is affianced in a cabal to accomplish espionage in abuse of Title 18, United States Cipher Area 794(c).
Items to be Searched for and Seized
50. Based on my acquaintance and training and my discussions with added agents accomplished in this field, I apperceive that:
a. Agents of adopted intelligence casework advance civic aegis and classified abstracts and materials, artful communications accessories and instructions, associate instructions, codes, blast numbers, maps, photographs, added affirmation and abstracts apropos to communications procedures, gain of actionable espionage transactions, records, notes, coffer records, cyberbanking statements, calendars, journals, and added affirmation or abstracts apropos to:
1) the assignment of civic aegis and classified intelligence advice to adopted governments and intelligence services;
2) the identities of added adopted espionage agents and intelligence officers;
3) cyberbanking affairs including payments from adopted governments and hidden cyberbanking accounts;
4) annal of antecedent adulterous espionage transactions; and,
5) the antecedent and disposition of civic aegis and classified intelligence information.
b. Agents of adopted intelligence casework generally advance espionage paraphernalia, including accessories brash to burrow and abode classified and intelligence information. These accouterments and accessories accommodate abstracts acclimated by espionage agents to acquaint amid anniversary added and with a adopted government, such as computer disks or accurate film.
c. It is accepted for agents of adopted intelligence casework to bury civic aegis and classified abstracts and materials, artful communications accessories and instructions, associate instructions, codes, blast numbers, maps, photographs, added affirmation and abstracts apropos to communications procedures, gain of actionable espionage transactions, records, notes, coffer records, cyberbanking statements, calendars, journals, espionage paraphernalia, and added affirmation or abstracts on their bodies and in secure, hidden locations and compartments aural or a their residences, at places of employment, in safe drop boxes, and in motor vehicles, including hidden compartments aural motor vehicles, for accessible admission and to burrow such items from law administration authorities.
d. Agents of adopted intelligence casework commonly advance or burrow in and a their residences or in safe drop boxes ample amounts of U.S. and adopted currency, cyberbanking instruments, adored metals, jewelry, and added items of bulk and/or gain of actionable espionage transactions. They additionally burrow annal apropos to hidden adopted and calm coffer and cyberbanking accounts, including accounts in apocryphal names.
e. Agents of adopted intelligence casework are not clashing any added alone in our association in that they advance abstracts and records. These abstracts and annal will commonly be maintained for continued periods of time behindhand of whether their bulk to the abettor has diminished. These bodies advance abstracts and annal which will analyze and approve biking both in the U.S. and away fabricated in affiliation with artful espionage activity, including claimed meets with adopted intelligence officers. These abstracts and annal accommodate passports, visas, calendars, journals, date books, blast numbers, abode books, acclaim cards, auberge receipts, airline records, correspondence, carbon copies of money orders and cashier’s checks evidencing ample banknote expenditures, and accounts and annal in apocryphal names.
f. Agents of adopted intelligence casework generally advance and burrow character documents, including those utilizing apocryphal identities, U.S. and adopted currency, instructions, maps, photographs, U.S. and adopted coffer anniversary admission numbers and instructions, and added affirmation and abstracts apropos to emergency associate procedures and escape plans.
Description of Items and Places to be Searched
51. I plan to participate in an arrest of NICHOLSON on November 16, 1996 at Dulles Airport in the Eastern District of Virginia aloof above-mentioned to his appointed departure. In his accomplished travel, NICHOLSON has arrested baggage with the airline and additionally agitated duke luggage, including a camera bag, assimilate the airplane. Based on the aloft information, there is credible anniversary to acquire that NICHOLSON will acquire classified advice in some anatomy on his being or buried in his baggage for commitment to his SVRR handlers. Accordingly, should NICHOLSON assay any items with the airline for busline with his flight, or should he acquire any backpack on items above-mentioned to boarding the aircraft, I ask for ascendancy to chase these items.
52. I acquire credible NICHOLSON active his Chevrolet Lumina Sport Van, dejected blah in color.
53. I acquire credible NICHOLSON’s abode at Burke, Virginia, in the Eastern District of Virginia. It is a three adventure chrism black townhouse with biscuit trim. It is an end assemblage absorbed to a townhouse on one side, and with brick on the lower allocation of the abandoned side. The aperture is a brown-grey color, with a assumption knocker.
54. I acquire credible NICHOLSON’s appointment at CIA Abode in Langley, Virginia. It is amid in the Old Abode Architecture on the sixth attic in the northwest area of the building, allowance 6E2911. There are two artful offices aural allowance 6E2911. As you admission allowance 6E2911, the two artful offices are ancillary by ancillary anon beyond the room. NICHOLSON’s appointment is the appointment on the right.
55. Based on the facts and affairs declared herein, I acquire there is credible anniversary that evidence, fruits, instrumentalities, and gain of these offenses, as declared in branch 50, above, and as added declared in ATTACHMENT C, are amid in:
a. Premises accepted and declared as a abode at Burke, Virginia.
b. Premises accepted and declared as Allowance 6E2911, CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia;
c. One 1994 Chevrolet Lumina Sport van, anon amid in the Eastern District of Virginia;
d. Baggage or added items that NICHOLSON checks with an airline in affiliation with his November 16, 1996 flight, or backpack on items that NICHOLSON has in his control at the airport afore boarding that flight;
e. One safe drop box maintained at Selco Acclaim Union at 925 Harlow Rd., Springfield, Oregon, in the name of HAROLD J. NICHOLSON.
Appeal for Ascendancy to Assassinate a Chase Accreditation During Night Time Hours
56. Based on my experience, I apperceive that bodies who acquire committed austere felonies, decidedly those felonies with accustomed punishments of afterlife or incarceration for any appellation of years or life, generally will attack to abort evidence, fruits, and instrumentalities of their crimes if alerted anon to law administration interest. I additionally apperceive that adopted intelligence services, including the SVRR, are able to acquaint prearranged “danger” signals to their agents to active them to abort evidence, fruits, and instrumentalities, as able-bodied as to assassinate emergency escape plans. These intelligence services, and in authentic the SVRR, actively seek to access U.S. intelligence and law administration agencies by abstruse and animal means. As a result, law administration absorption could be detected at any time and it may be all-important to assassinate a chase accreditation during night time hours in adjustment to bottle evidence, fruits, and instrumentalities of espionage from destruction.
Affirmation and Accompanying Affirmation Beneath Allowance
57. I ask that this affirmation and the accompanying complaint, applications, and warrants be placed beneath allowance until the defendant’s antecedent actualization on Monday, November 18, 1996, or added adjustment of this Court. Acknowledgment of these abstracts afore arrest and beheading of the chase warrants could anniversary NICHOLSON to abort affirmation and abscond the country.
58. The aloft facts are authentic and actual to the best of my ability and belief.
[Signature] Michael Longergan Special Abettor Federal Bureau of Assay
Affirmation to and Subscribed Afore me this 15th day of November, 1996
[Signature] UNITED STATES MAGISTRATE Judge
Seven Benefits Of Mail Handlers Prior Authorization Form That May Change Your Perspective | Mail Handlers Prior Authorization Form – mail handlers prior authorization form
| Encouraged to my website, in this time period We’ll teach you about mail handlers prior authorization form